Sunday 27 December 2015

Faith Journey (part 4)

As I wrote in my last post, it was perhaps in 2006 that I first became open to critiquing my beliefs, and at that time only in limited areas. But it was when I began teaching at Australian Lutheran College that these initial cracks began to form into chasms. 

As far as my first year was concerned (2010), most of my energy was consumed learning the ropes and getting used to my new calling. As is often the case with beginning lecturers teaching courses for the first time, I was often only a couple of lectures ahead of schedule. It was also a rapidly changing work environment, and before too long I was no longer the new kid on the block. Professionally and socially, however, it was a great place to be, despite the various stresses and pressures. But even though I can’t remember in too much detail what I was thinking that year, I must have begun reading in a number of areas that would prove to have life changing consequences.

First and foremost was contemporary historical Jesus scholarship (something I only did to a limited extent at Notre Dame). This reading had no immediate connection with my current teaching areas (liturgy, spirituality), nor would it become a focus on my doctoral studies. But it was something I did to find answers for a number of questions which had been bothering me for some time now.

A key issue related to the doctrine of Christ’s ‘second coming’ (something I discuss at much greater length in my post “An Advent Analysis: refiguring the return of Christ”). I became aware that many biblical scholars now recognize that (a) Jesus believed the ‘end’ would come within his or his disciples’ generation, (b) much – but not all – of the New Testament operates with this presupposition, and (c) since this obviously didn’t eventuate, the church has had to reinterpret these early expectations in a way that protected Jesus from error. Obviously, this observation strikes directly at orthodox belief, but despite that fact, I became increasingly convinced that critical, and not orthodox, scholarship was more direct in dealing with these matters. And because this critique called into question both the reliability of the New Testament and its central figure, these were not views I could voice with approval in front of students or even staff. As a teacher of theology in the LCA I was now in dangerous waters.

I remember the disquiet caused by these new avenues of thought. In the early months of 2011, as we spent many hours working in the back yard of our seminary owned residence, I began to wonder how long we would remain to enjoy it. Four years before my resignation I already had a sense of where things might be heading.

Later in the year a further step was taken. I took my part in teaching a series of evening classes for members of the church, a regular fixture of ALC’s program, and was asked to propose a topic. I chose several that fell within the orbit of my competency, but also added a third option – the ‘New Atheists’. I was urged to go with this choice as it was considered to have more interest value. This proved to be a bit of a tightrope experience, as it was assumed my task would be to defend the faith and offer a robust response to the criticisms levelled at religion by Dawkins, Hitchens and company. But in quite a few instances, I was in agreement with their basic critique, directed as it was against realist conceptions of the bible and Christianity, even if I was put off by their frequent misrepresentations of ‘ordinary’ Christianity, or the belligerent tone of their assault. So the approach I took for the evening classes was first and foremost to understand the phenomenon of the New Atheism. As I wrote in a series of articles published in The Lutheran the following year:

We did not undertake to present a sure-fire way to refute and demolish the atheist platform. Our task was more difficult: to listen carefully and understand their arguments and reasoning as best we could. We didn't simply want to strike at their Achilles heel; rather, we wanted to face up to the very best the new atheism has to offer. http://www.lca.org.au/an-unholy-trinity.html

As it turned out, most of the participants appreciated this modus operandi, and since the others already knew in their own minds why the New Atheists were wrong, my job was made that little bit easier.

Another issue occupying my thoughts at this time concerned the biblical accounts of the birth of Jesus, and the doctrine of the incarnation which has traditionally been dependent on it. The view held by many scholars that Matthew and Luke’s infancy narratives (Mt 1:18-2:23 and Lk 2:1-52) were at the least heavily embellished, and at the most pious fiction, persuaded me more than the orthodox attempts to defend them. A host of reasons mounted concerning the fictive flavour of these two passages (which popular piety usually rolls together as one): the infancy narratives contradict each other on too many basic facts; they are historically implausible and historically unsupported; they lack attestation by the rest of the New Testament; they invoke naïve cosmology; they turn Old Testament passages into prophecies in order to ‘fulfil’ them; they are deliberately modelled on Old Testament narratives; they give Jesus divine ‘cred’ for a Greco-Roman audience; and finally, you can find out all of this by reading reputable biblical scholarship, and not only ‘radical’ theologians or unbelieving critics (who themselves often draw on standard works of biblical scholarship!).

The claims just noted here one after the other are something I’ll flesh out more in later posts. In terms of my faith journey, however, I now had serious doubts about two key aspects of traditional belief about Christ: his earthly beginnings and his final coming.

Then in October of 2011 I attended a ‘Hermeneutics Symposium’ (a conference on biblical interpretation) which gathered many Lutheran pastors and a number of overseas guest speakers. This was of deep interest to me, as I was well aware that the conclusions one arrives at about this or that biblical text or theological position is often determined by one’s methodological approach. How you read the bible will influence what you think it is saying. What you bring to a text has a lot to do with what you take out of it. The conference was also stimulating because by this time I knew I’d be taking a year off for study in 2012, with some kind of focus on hermeneutical issues. However, it was also apparent that even though the speakers were personally well versed in 20th century interpretation theory, the range of ‘permissible’ views remained very narrow. It’s as if the LCA wanted to show that it was abreast of hermeneutical developments while at the same time hanging on to the safety of biblical inerrancy.  One small incident sticks with me. During a question time, I raised the matter of the contradiction between the two infancy narratives, just to gauge if there was a willingness to take such questions on board. I can’t remember what answer I received on the floor, but later on a fellow LCA pastor/theologian in effect told me that such questions were basically out of order. That’s right – in the LCA there are questions that you simply should not raise in public.

Anyway, it seems that from 2011 onward, issue followed issue, like an avalanche. It was a big step when I started to read and reflect on the very human dynamics of belief itself (something to explore more fully down the track). I came to realize that both the intense need as well as the amazing capacity for human beings to believe is a plausible explanation of how faith in any doctrine came about - the resurrection included. Once that happened I started seeing far more clearly how ‘faith’ of any kind helps us connect the dots of experience meaningfully and conquer chance and contingency with causes and reasons. Faith simplifies the bewildering complexity of earthly existence, maintains a ‘meaning framework’ for interpreting the joys and vicissitudes of life, and sets our lives within a much grander narrative. And this is no bad thing at all – it’s just very human. And once we believe, our perception and experience of the world is then tailored to fit our belief system, and in turn becomes increasingly immune and resistant to contrary information. Like a spiritual immune system beliefs are remarkable resilient and can normally maintain themselves in the face of any challenge or contrary viewpoint. But as I said, I want to unpack this in a future post.


Next time I want to recount how I began taking refuge in the works of liberal and progressive theologians, to see if there was a way, as they appeared to do, of maintaining a life of commitment to the church in the face of serious doubt. In a similar vein, I’ll briefly touch on my year of doctoral studies (without boring anyone’s pants). But I’ll also share how I became aware of a growing collection of books written by ex-pastors, and my discovery that I was not alone in this journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment